A dental implant is an artificial tooth root (synthetic material) that is surgically anchored into your jaw to hold a replacement tooth or bridge in place. At Willowdaile Family Dentistry in Durham, NC, we have ability to place the implant restoration (the visible portion of the tooth) after an oral surgeon has placed the dental implant.
Reasons for Implants
- Implants don’t rely on neighboring teeth for support.
- They are permanent and stable because the implant is secured within the jawbone.
- The replacement teeth look, feel, and function just like your own natural teeth.
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. And because they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent.
- Improved speech. With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within the mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that your teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort. Because they become part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating. Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain. No more food restrictions.
- Future bone loss from dentures will no longer occur when you have implants.
- Improved self-esteem and confidence. Dental implants can give you back your smile, and help you feel better about yourself.
- Improved oral health. Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, more of your own teeth are left intact, improving your long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene. As a denture wearer you will not have to suffer from the inconvenience of adhesives or dentures insecurely shifting around in your mouth.
- Durability. Implants are very durable and will last many years.
- No extra care to maintain. They require the same care as real teeth, including brushing, flossing, and regular dental check-ups. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Convenience. Removable dentures are just that; removable. Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing your dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep your dentures in place.
- Implant material is made from different types of metallic and bone-like ceramic materials that are compatible with body tissue.
Purpose of Implants:
- Replace a single tooth with an implant and crown.
- Retain an over-denture with several implants.
- Eliminate a partial denture with several implants and a bridge.
Source: American Dental Association