Your child’s lip and tongue may be numb for as long as 4 hours. During this time children may bite their lip, cheek or tongue without feeling pain. Please observe your child to help prevent unnecessary injury.
- Try to limit physical activity for the first 24 hours to allow a clot to form.
- Do not rinse vigorously for 24 hours. Rinse gently with water after eating and tooth brushing.
- Your child should drink plenty of fluids for 24 hours. Do not drink through a straw.
- Control bleeding by holding gauze on the site with pressure. Moderate pressure should be maintained for 30 minutes. Biting a tea bag can also stop bleeding.
- Eat a soft diet (such as soup, Jell-O, etc.) for the first 24 hours. Avoid very hot fluids.
- Give your child an appropriate child’s dose of Tylenol for pain or a slight fever.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to call Willowdaile Family Dentistry. Thank you for trusting us with your child’s health!